1. Register as a teacher. Within 24 hours you will receive an email confirming your registration.
2. Once you have registered as a teacher, you can begin to create student teams of 3 to 4 students in one of the two divisions.
• Adam Smith: Students enrolled in any two-semester econ macro and micro course sequence or any course labeled as AP, IB, honors, or differentiated. If a student has previously participated in the David Ricardo Division, they must be registered for Adam Smith in this year's competition.
• David Ricardo Division is for first-time challenge competitors who have taken no more than one economics course - including courses taught to satisfy the Economics and Personal Finance requirement - or any course that teaches economics-related content not labeled as AP, IB, honors, differentiated, or college level, e.g. Government, Business, World Geography. Teams that meet these requirements but have participated in a previous State Championship must compete at the Adam Smith level. See official rules at economicschallenge.ncee.net
3. The Governor's Challenge - EconChallenge ONLINE begins on March 6th and ends on March 31st at 5:00pm for David Ricardo and Adam Smith competitors. Once the competition begins, students can enter the EconChallenge ONLINE website and complete a 30 question rapid-fire exam consisting of macro, micro, and international questions. Each student will be given 35 minutes to complete the exam. Students must complete the exam without any outside assistance. Teachers are responsible for monitoring students to prevent cheating.
4. Top scoring teams in each Virginia Department of Education region will be recognized at the Adam Smith and David Ricardo level. The state winner in each division (the highest-scoring team) will move on to National Semi-Finals
5. Each correct answer is worth 10 points. The team's score is the sum of the top 3 students' scores.
6. In the event of a tie, the team who used the least amount of time on the online exam is the tiebreaker. If necesarry, the score and testing time of the fourth student will be used as additional tie breakers.
Students competing in the EconChallenge Online may also participate in the FinanceChallenge Online competition. Click HERE to go to the FinanceChallenge Online site.