Welcome to the Minnesota EconChallenge ONLINE!
In the Minnesota Economics Challenge, teams of students representing high schools across the state compete in a series of challenging tests of their economic understanding and reasoning abilities.
As an alternative to regional competitions held at Centers for Economic Education throughout Minnesota, teams have the opportunity to complete the first round of the Challenge online. The online option allows teachers and students to participate regardless of travel or budgetary constraints. In the first round, teams of four students in three divisions will complete online exams that cover topics in macro, micro and international economics.
All high school students are eligible. Teachers may enter multiple teams in their qualifying divisions. There is no financial cost to teachers or students to participate in the EconChallenge ONLINE!
How it Works
To participate in the Minnesota Econ Challenge ONLINE!, simply do the following:
- Registration for the Minnesota Econ Challenge opens on January 1, 2018. Register as a teacher.
- Once you have registered as a teacher, you can begin to create student teams of 3 or 4 students in either of two divisions.
- A note for large schools planning to participate in the David Ricardo division: If any of your students have already participated in this division, that student's team MUST participate in the Adam Smith division this year.
- Joan Robinson: We will also select one winning team from the Joan Robinson division for schools with an enrollment of under 600 students. To participate in this division, create your team in the David Ricardo division. We will use the information submitted in the registration survey to determine your Joan Robinson eligibility. Students who compete in the Joan Robinson division are not eligible to move on to the national competition.
- David Ricardo: any one-semester, introductory or general, combined macro and microeconomics course. See official rules at the Council for Economic Education's website.
- Adam Smith: students enrolled in any two-semester econ macro and micro course sequence or any course labeled as AP, IB, CIS, honors or college level.
- After creating the teams, you will be given unique access codes for each student. Distribute these access codes to your students when they are ready to take the Challenge.
- The Minnesota Econ Challenge ONLINE will open on January 1, 2018, and remain open until March 16, 2018. Once competition begins, students can enter the Econ Challenge ONLINE website and complete a 30-question exam consisting of macro, micro, and international questions. Each student will be given 35 minutes.