Welcome to the National Economics Challenge: Oregon State Economics Competition
The Oregon State Economics Challenge is a great way for your students to flex their intellectual muscle and participate with students from across Oregon in an exciting and fun competition.
This year, top-scoring teams in the David Ricardo and Adam Smith Divisions will be invited to compete virtually at the Oregon State Economics Challenge Finals Competition on Friday, April 15, 2022. (We reserve the right to adjust this date) While the competition is virtual this year, we still foresee having a quiz bowl finals with buzzers and all of the fun energy of being in person live.
Educator registration is now open. Click on the green TEACHER REGISTRATION button to your left on this page. Teachers who have registered in the past do not need to complete the registration again.
Listen to these webinars for more information:
Navigating the National Economics Challenge
Join us to learn the ins and outs of participating in the online portion of the economics challenge. Topics: how to register, how to create your student teams, and how to obtain your individual and team scores, how to move on to the national semi-finals and national finals. Presented by Jennifer Davidson, President, Nebraska Council of Economic Education.
Preparing Your Students for the National Economics Challenge
How to Successfully Compete in the Economics Challenge. A Coach of five National Economics Challenge Championship Teams, Dick Rankin, will deliver his tips on how to prepare for the Economics Challenge Competition and how teachers' economic courses are enhanced by participation in the Economics Challenge. Presented by Dick Rankin, Iolani School
About the Competitions:
There are competitions in two divisions so even students who have never taken an economics class can participate:
DAVID RICARDO DIVISION--The "David Ricardo" Division is restricted to students enrolled in one-semester or less high school course not labeled as AP, IB, honors, differentiated, or college level.
ADAM SMITH DIVISION--The "Adam Smith" Division is restricted to students enrolled in any two-semester econ macro and micro course sequence or any course labeled as AP, IB, honors, or differentiated. Additionally, if you previously participated in the David Ricardo Division, you must register for Adam Smith in this year's competition.
- March 1 - March 30, 2022 - Oregon Economics Challenge ONLINE! Competition for Adam Smith Division and David Ricardo Division: - Teams log in and face the Challenge to determine which ten teams will face off in person at the Oregon Economics Challenge Final Competition. Teams advancing will be informed by April 2, 2022.
- April 15, 2022 - Oregon Economics Challenge Finals (Virtual). The Top David Ricardo and Adam Smith teams compete in three rounds and a Quiz Bowl. The winner will advance to National Semifinals. The Oregon State champions will be announced at the conclusion of the competition on April 15, 2022.
- May 2022 - National Semifinals (April 24 is the alternate date for schools on spring break 4/17/19) - The Oregon State Champion will compete in the National Semifinals. The Semifinals round will be an online test held simultaneously at the schools of all state champions. Principals will be responsible for identifying a test room and a proctor, and for affirming that test conditions were conducive to ensuring fair results.
- May 16-18, 2021 - National Economics Challenge Finals - The top four qualifying teams in each division will be invited to compete for the national title (Virtual). Each member of the winning team and their teacher will receive a cash prize, as well as medals and a trophy. The runner-up teams and their teachers will also receive a cash prize and medals. Travel expenses for the National Finals will be paid by CEE.
Join teams from across Oregon to take the Challenge!
- Educators- Register today and start creating your student teams.
- Students - Study hard! The Oregon Economics Challenge! Will test you and your knowledge of economics.
Every high school student in New York is invited to compete in the New York State Economics Challenge!
Good luck to all our Oregon teams. The New York State Economics Challenge! Is a great way to flex your intellectual muscle and participate with students from across the state in an exciting and fun competition.
Please contact Jesse Kurtz-Nicholl if you have questions or need assistance.